Saturday, July 10, 2010

What's on my easel?




Here are the initial stages of an oil painting that was begin July 2010.
A CONCEPT
Here is an idea I started playing with several years ago and then put away. It's about a high light coming through a window and a situation that yet is to be resolved.
THE CARTOON
The next stage is a full size cartoon that works out the piece. This stage done on tracing paper and works out details. For example the figure is in a setting and there are some difficult perspective issues that have to be worked out.
THE TRANSFER
The cartoon is transferred to a prepared canvas. (I use 2 coats of acrylic gesso and sand each coat). I transfer by rubbing charcoal over the back of the thin tracing paper and taping it into position on the canvas. I often use a larger canvas than the initial idea in case the painting goes where I hadn't planned. I then use a 5H pencil and a stylus and go over the figure etc on the cartoon. This roughly transfers the design to the canvas.
THE DRAWING ON CANVAS.
This is where I am at this point. I redraw very carefully the figure an other major elements. I use prismacolor with a very sharp points. This drawing is done to establish tones and lines (not color). I use prsimacolor because it doesn't bleed through the oil paint like graphite pencil does. (Never use graphite pencil as an underdrawing on an oil). I don't use charcoal because I like a tighter line than most charcoal provides.
After this drawing is done I'll fix it and move to an isolating varnish step--more on that in later posts.
IMPORTANT: click on images to enlarge.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger dianne said...

Sorry dear Painter for taking such a long time to come over here and look at your latest work, you may have noticed that I received a lengthy comment from a friend who has been absent from my life for some time now, it took me completely by surprise and threw me into more than a little confusion...

This work is very interesting, thank you for explaining the process, I can see that you have gone to great lengths to get the scale correct in the dimensions of the window and alcove of the cartoon scene. I had no idea that so much preparation went into the process of producing a beautiful oil painting, but I am learning that fine art of your high standard cannot be rushed. I look forward to the next step. :) xoxo ♥

July 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home